When: Sunday December 9th, 15:00-18:00.
Where: Cambridge Working Men's Club, 125 East Road, Cambridge CB1 1DB.
To get us ready for the Christmas festivities and spirit Cambridge Cuban Salsa presents a one-off set of three workshops exploring the roots of Cuban dance. These workshops have been designed in the same spirit as this Autumn's series both at the Thursday Social Club and the fabulous and entertaining classes by Havana Belgrado and AfroFusion Dance at the Sunday Salsa Lounge: enriching you salsa and your styling with genuine elements of Cuba's rich dancing culture. The effects on everyone's dancing, fluidity and confidence on the dance-floor have been clearly visible over the past months. If you didn't have a chance to be with us for the past series, now is your chance to catch up on this.
SPECIAL SANDY RELIEF: ALL PROCEEDS DONATED TO THE DANCERS AND FAMILIES OF THE AFRO CUBAN BALLET IN SANTIAGO
As we are preparing to celebrate Christmas en Europe, people in Cuba may not be that lucky, especially in the Eastern provinces (Santiago and surrounding) which have been seriously devastated by hurricane Sandy. All proceeds from the day will go to the fund that Danza Zunzún are building and which will be donated to the dancers & families of The Afro-Cuban Ballet in Santiago de Cuba, whose houses were ravaged and whose lives were seriously affected by this natural disaster. Cambridge Cuban Salsa is happy to help by donating infrastructure to organise and advertise this workshop, and we hope to see many of you supporting this good cause.
A GOOD VALUE WORKSHOP
Feedback about Danza Zunzún's teaching at the Thursdays and other workshops in Cambridge has been very positive, and this is one of the last occasions to benefit from their teaching before they leave Cambridge. Extra value includes:
- a free CD with all the music that was used during Danza Zunzún's classes in Cambridge,
- free access to the Sunday Salsa Lounge (class+party) on the same day.
The programme is as follows:
- 1500: workshops at the Cambridge Working Men's Club, 125 East Road, Cambridge CB1 1DB (opposite the Crown Court):
- 1500-1550: Salsa Picante; Putting Rumba, Son and Afro-Cuban styling into your salsa.
- Water and clothes change break.
- 1600-1650: Rumba Guaguancó; with live percussion (clave and shekere) and recently released music by Kokoye in Santiago de Cuba.
- Water and clothes change break.
- 1700-1750: Conga Santiaguera; to get us into the Christmas mood; the ultimate Santiago de Cuba -carnival, -community and -high-energy dance.
- 1800: optional group dinner at the Chinese buffet one block up from the Man on the Moon on Norfolk street.
- 1930: Sunday Salsa Lounge, class + party, at the Man on the Moon, 2 Norfolk St., CB1 2LF.
If you are only available for 1 hour on Sunday you can choose your favourite class at a drop in costs mentioned below, but this excludes the free CD and free access to the Sunday Salsa Lounge.
A large, spacious dance-floor awaits us at the Cambridge Working Men's Club on East Road. Please bring comfortable clothes and perhaps a couple of changes as the workshops will be high-energy.
Costs: £18.00 (NUS £9.00) if booked in advance, £20.00 (NUS £10) at the door.
Tickets can be booked directly with DJSacha or Barbara at any of the Cambridge Cuban Salsa events, or online below. Please note:
- You do not need a PayPal account to book online, just use a credit card by clicking "Don't have a PayPal account?" on the checkout page.
- We operate a ticket-free scheme. Your name will be registered on our list at the door. Please print your PayPal receipt as a proof of purchase.
- Please bring your student ID if you booked at student price. We reserve the right to claim the difference or to refuse access to the workshop if a student ID can't be shown.
ONLINE BOOKING IS NOW CLOSED. TICKETS WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE DOOR. Thank you for visiting the website, see you at the workshop!
If you are only available for 1 hour on Sunday you can choose your favourite class and drop in costs on the day: £7.00 (NUS £3.50). This does not include the free CD and free access to the Sunday Salsa Lounge.
We are hoping to see many of you there to support a great cause while enjoying fantastic workshops!
- DJ Sacha
(Thanks to Alejandra for helping with writing parts of this announcement.)