Cambridge Cuban Salsa Club
Cuban salsa links
- Cuban salsa groups by region in and around Cambridge:
- For links to Cuban salsa groups in Cambridge, please see the classes page.
- Since Richard and Sharon have closed their DanceCuban.net classes, we have lost track of Cuban salsa activity in Norwich. Pointers anyone? Please contact us.
- Anglia Salsa: fun Cuba salsa classes with lovely Miranda in the Ipswich region.
- East Midlands
- Cuba Linda, Leicester: Led by Ariel Rios "El Professor", famous Cuban salsa teacher. Before leaving Cuba, Ariel was the director of the Conjunto Folklorico of the University of Habana. His knowledge of Cuban dance is academic, and as a teacher he is the funniest and loveliest guy ever! With the Cuba Linda team, they are delivering fantastic classes in a great venue in Leicester.
- Salsaché, Nottingham: Cuban Salsa, Rueda, Chachacha and New York on2 classes in Nottingham with Tamba Hissirou, Nikki and Carolina, prominent figures of the Cuban scene. Proper classes from people who know what they are talking about and have a great character: have fun and learn properly at the same time.
- Cuba Pequeña: "Little Cuba", a group of passionate Cuban salsa dancers for relaxed and friendly classes and parties with illustrious guest teachers in Braintree.
- AfroFusion Dance: website of Ariel Rios "El Professor", famous Cuban salsa teacher. Before leaving Cuba, Ariel was the director of the Conjunto Folklorico of the University of Habana. His knowledge of Cuban dance is academic, and as a teacher he is the funniest and loveliest guy ever! The AfroFusion Dance website gives updates on where Ariel is teaching salsa and Afro-Cuban workshops.
- Cuban School of Arts: the website of another great Cuban figure of salsa in the UK: Damarys Farres Toyo. Thanks to Damarys's infectious energy, her workshops of AfroCuban and Reggaeton come highly recommended!
- Key2Cuba: dance holidays in Cuba as well as dance wortkshops in London with superfamous Kerry Ribchester. Kerry has more than 15 years of experience travelling back and forth to Cuba, and got to direct dance videos for superfamous bands such as Habana d'Primera and Maykel Blanco. Originally trained as a Hellerwork practitioner (postural adjustment and body mind centering), her teaching is unique and very inspirational.
- La Clave Cubana: follow the classes, workshops and club nights of famous DJ Richard Fallon, one of the most prominent figures of the Cuban salsa scene.
- Havana Londres: brilliant energetic classes by the infamous Nikola Medic, Rueda World Champion, and dance partner Danielle Satsias.
- Cubacheche: organizers of the Rumbon Cubano parties, pure Cuban spirit and atmosphere.
- Salsa Caribe: Susan Hacking and DJ Dr.Jim, 15 years experience on the Cuban scene. Friendly people, great classes, great atmosphere.
- Afro Cuban Pati: very friendly, great parties. DJ team Sol Ajala, Eric "Rico" Bruno and Gian Luca DJ totally rock!
- Online agendas
- Main UK-based Cuban Salsa promotion companies: information about the main Cuban salsa weekenders and concerts.
- Salsa Explosion: based in Bournemouth, many weekenders with great venues, great workshops, massive parties and an authentic Cuban feel.
- From Havana to Londres (formerly Clave y Son): extremely good concerts with major Cuban bands organised in London.
- Salsa Fever: their Cuban weekender in Blackpool has a good reputation, but for other events they have a tendency to mash-up Cuban style with mambo and L.A.
- Como No: they brought Los Van Van, Bamboleo, Omara Portuondo and Eliades Ochoa to the UK. 'Nuff said.
- Online resources about Cuban music and bands, and general news
- Timba.com: very comprehensive site about Cuban salsa bands, with tour dates, histry, lineups etc. A gold mine.
- Descarga.com: very complete reference for discographies and album reviews. Has an interesting glossary of salsa terms.
- SalsaHackers.com by London-based writer Charlotte.
- SalsaPower.com: feature rich resource, not explored yet.
- Online resources about Cuban salsa dancing
- http://beautifulwheel.wordpress.com/: Cambridge-based Ian Smith has written a very comprehensive guide about Rueda de Casino. The book can be bought from this blog, which also hosts very interesting videos about the roots and evolution of Rueda.
- http://come2think.com/archive/BailarCasino/: this online archive contains an impressive number of episodes from the "A Bailar Casino" popular Cuban TV show, which played an important role in popularizing Rueda and Timba music in the late nineties.
If you know a link which is missing from this page, please post it as a comment and we will add it later on.
Also feel free to send your own comments and reviews about the sites linked above.
Thanks in advance for your contribution!
- For affordable interior design services in Cambridge, please contact Katie Malik Interiors. From soft and hard furnishings to space planning, a complete range of interior design and decoration services is available to fit your taste.
- For divine cakes, cupcakes and petit fours, please contact I Biscotti di Debora. Every bite will send you to heavens.